Plethra

Welcome!

This is a collaboratively edited question and answer site for power users of Plethra hardware and software. It's 100% free to participate.

Resolving Airplay connectivity issues between 2nd gen Apple Airport Express endpoints and Raspberry Pi 3 Server

+1 vote

Recently I ran into connectivity issues setting up 2nd Generation Airport Express (AE) endpoints to a Raspberry Pi 3 Server. The AE shows up on the list of "Idle" devices but every time I drag an AE to a room/session, I would get the message:

"Device Didn't Respond, The Airplay device is not responding and has been removed from the listening session".

How do I solve this issue?

asked Nov 20, 2016 by user1659 (14 points)
edited Nov 20, 2016 by user1659

1 Answer

+1 vote

After numerous failed troubleshooting attempts and help from Plethra support, I was able to resolve the issue by assigning a link-local address on the R Pi server.

Below are the steps I used to assign a link-local address. Note: I'm using the ethernet port and thus the network device is eth0 in my case for step 4 below. If your using WIFI, your network device maybe different such as wlan0. Use the command "ifconfig" to query your device as indicated in step 3. Look for the interface which has the current R Pi IP address (usually in the form of 192.168.X.X.)

1. Bring up a terminal window on the R Pi server (you can also SSH into the R Pi server from another machine):
    Click R-Pi Application menu (top left icon) -> Accessories -> Terminal
  2. Install the avahi-autoipd package:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install avahi-autoipd
  3. Query the current network device in use:
    ifconfig
  4. Edit rc.local script file to insert the proper command to run at after every boot:
    sudo nano /etc/rc.local
  5. Insert the following command above the line "exit 0":
    sudo /usr/sbin/avahi-autoipd --force-bind eth0 &
  6. Save the changes to rc.local and exit:
    Ctrl-O
    Ctrl-X
  7. Reboot:
    sudo reboot

Once the R-Pi server boots up, run the "ifconfig" command again. There should be a new device with a link-local address (169.254.X.X). The device name should be similar to eth0:avahi or wlan0:avahi.

From the Audio|Acacia interface, I can now drag any AE device into any room/listening session.

answered Nov 20, 2016 by user1659 (14 points)
Hi,
I am having the same problem. Partly. When connected via Ethernet the trick above works very well. When on WiFi it does not help.
Have you assigned link-local addresses to *both* the eth0 and wlan0 interfaces?